.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Web 
Counters
SBC Yahoo Internet Access Provider

Progressive Travels

The haphazard chronicles of a professional musician and his relentless pursuit of an otherwise boring life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Jacob, Illinois, United States

If it ain't Baroque, fix it!

13 December 2005

Greetings from Exile

07 November 2005
Greetings from exile - self-imposed, of course. I didn’t move out to a small town just to escape the big town life; it has been both relaxing and stimulating. The original projects are coming along nicely in the new relaxed atmosphere.

The progrock stuff has born the brunt of the effort to date. I had formulated some initial ideas several years ago, and actually recorded some of the basic tracks about two years ago. While this has served as a nice foundation on which to build, I have somewhat turned it on its head in the last few weeks...and I like the way it’s now heading. I must now be careful to not get too carried away with the ideas. It has to fit on a single CD...or would it not be too pompous of me to release a double CD...hmmm...things to ponder.

I have also spent a fair amount of time with the synthesizers on the digital ambient stuff. While this may seem to some to be a bit uncharacteristic of me, I’m really having a blast with it. I’ve had several new ideas of late for layering, mostly in the strings area. I’m thinking right now that I might do these with my cello instead of on the synth, to give it more of a human feel. We’ll see.

My new job with Wick’s Pipe Organ Company is rolling along much smoother than I had anticipated. When you get right down to it, electronics is electronics no matter what the application. It is also inspiring me to push forward with the original string music. Being around people all day long who not only know of obscure Baroque-era composers but also are familiar with their works is inspiring as well. Just today I had a really nice chat with Barbara Wick about the music of Antonio Soler and his passion for organ designing. I think I like this job. The opportunity to play pipe organs all day doesn’t suck either.

Sometimes, life is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home